Monday, July 29, 2013

Brinjee bhavan

I heard my tummy rumbling. Like deep thunder. And then a jolt of pain that started from the bottom of my stomach and moved up. It almost felt like something physical was trying to break out of my stomach.

I was sitting at Brinjee bhavan having my dinner. After my favourite rava idlis and a dosa my stomach decided to get upset with the ill treatment being meted out to it. And it began to groan and show its resistance to my whims and fancies.

I went up to the A/C section of the restaurant where the toilets were located and found an empty one. The western seat was a relief. And it was relatively well kept and clean.

I completed my duties and with the relief of a job well done I opened the door. It stood strong. I was locked inside. It was about 11 PM and i had forgot that closing time was about 10.30. I might have over stayed a bit. I shouted hoping to get the attention of some cleaning boy or night watchman, but nothing happened. 

My mobile was out of signal , damn you Airvoice!!! I was doomed to spend the night on the potty. I played a little on my mobile until it showed 30% power availability. I needed that much in case of some requirement later. I pocketed it and sat staring at the plastic door of the loo.

I dozed off leaning against the flush box of the western toilet. I was awoken from my strangely deep slumber by scuffling noises. I was overjoyed. Freedom!!!

My joy was in vain. As I was going to make a sound to get the visitors to free me, I heard muffled grunts and things falling. It was a struggle of some sort.It was a woman I could make out from the noises. In some time the noises subsided and everything was calm.

Someone walked into the wash area. I was worried they would open the loo door, but it didn't happen.I heard another set of foot steps enter the wash area. Then a voice with authority - " Syama, I hope you will not be telling anyone about this. You know how much I put up with your mediocre work and also pay you extra always. Consider this as a small repayment. More over, imagine you lost your job what would happen to your husband. Medicines are not cheap these days. Here, keep this money with you and keep your mouth shut for your own good".

With that one set of feet walked out. Then there was water from the tap, sobbing, water again and the next pair of feet leaving.

I got out of the toilet the next morning much to the surprise of the young cleaning boy who opened the door. I had breakfast and went to the cash register to pay. The man behind was smiling. I said to him - " Mr, I hope you will not be telling anyone about this. You know how much I put with your mediocre service and still end up paying extra always. Consider this a small repayment. Syama will be seeing you in court soon."

As I walked out my mind began to wonder how I would argue for Syama in court. I was a criminal lawyer and all that, but a case without any witnesses? In a country where rape is not even considered as seriously as it should.. But I was determined.










No comments:

Post a Comment