Friday, November 6, 2015

Happiness

Amrita went out the door. Just like that. I knew the booze in my system was making it seem lighter than it was and this lightness wouldn't be there tomorrow.

But she was gone and that was the only truth. As she walked way I heard the song aaj Jaane ke zidd na karo and I thought how fitting it was.

I wondered how easy it was to let go. After all the years of togetherness, after all the time spent as one, is it so easy to let go? I didn't blame her, it was obviously me. I took it for granted. I assumed it would last forever no matter what.

I realised how the small things are the most important. It was not the foreign holiday that was important, it was me being there with her on it that counted. It was not the diamond ring that mattered, it was the feeling of joy of wearing it while with me on a date that mattered.

Nostalgia of the wrong sort kicked in. How I had walked away from Anu a few years back. It was the same thing that had happened, only difference being I walked out that time. And here I was at the receiving end now. How stupid we are I wondered. Chasing things and finally realising it was not what made us happy. Justifying our actions in the name of our loved ones for our own selfish reasons.

Amrita was all I needed. Amrita and our baby she was carrying. Not the career, not the house, not the money and fame,just her presence in my life. It was an epiphany. 

As I stood wondering, the door opened and she came in. She hugged me and her tears made me realise another thing. More than all things what mattered to me was her happiness. That was all. That was the end and ultimate. 

I was reborn and I was there, at the destination called happiness...


No comments:

Post a Comment