Monday, April 21, 2014

Im a Zero, He's a hero

The son
       
          I am 26. This is the age when people have the most fun. Girl friends, fun times, movies, trips and what not. This is the age when guys get to identify their likes and decide a way forward in life. This is the time when guys lay the foundation to greatness. And here I am ; its 10 PM and I am on my way back home. After a sick and tiring day at the desk doing shit. I should have been exploring my skills. I was good at writing. I could have been a reporter, or maybe a full time writer. I should have been riding about in Chennai on my bike with that hot girl from college. She even asked for my number.

          I see all the cool guys riding with their girls in pillion as I trudge home from the station. The boss was extra bad today. He said that I was earning money for doing nothing and then for good measure went on to lecture about how I would never make it in life. This year too I would have to go without a raise. While Kiran would be elevated to manager because of his MBA and his smooth English, I would sit back at the same desk doing the same thing and most probable a little extra since Kiran would now be manager.

        I am a failure. Everyone sees it in me. The bald guy smoking at the corner store looks at me with sympathy. The girl opposite our apartment sees it. Heck even the company watchman sees it, that can be the only reason he never yells at me like he does the others. If only dad didn't leave us for that bitch. If only he had his business, I would have had such a different life. But then luck has its bloody ways - here I was, 26, an age where fun should have been the priority, a failure staring at a bleak future. But I do it for Amma and Priya. And that's the only solace. I was a failure, a big zero.

The mom

         I know how much Arun does for me. The pride with which he goes to work. The amount of sacrifice he has put in for this family, for me and his sister, is not something any kid his age would do. Kids his age were busy spending their dads money, movies, girl friends, fun trips and what not. But not my Arun, his only priority in life was me and his sister.  The time I offered to buy him a bike, he vehemently refused. He takes the train to work every day. Leaves by 7.30and gets back home by 9. Never a complaint about anything, not a single word of anger or regret.

          Arun is a winner. He is our hero











No comments:

Post a Comment