Thursday, October 11, 2012

Honesty is the best policy. I second the statement...

I never had luck with dishonesty. Most times I tried to lie or be dishonest I have only gotten into more trouble. A few incidents come to mind :-

 --- When I was in hostel we used to have the concept of running a few kilometres everyday. It was compulsory for all. The cross country route was hard and I always was late which meant some sort of punishment - military discipline. I bunked (bunking here means taking short cuts, that's what is was colloquially called) once and I have no idea how, but I got caught; not during the bunking, but after I reached the end point on time.

I guess the teacher was extremely confident, based on my past performance,  that never in this lifetime would I finish the cross country in the stipulated time. I got caught and not only did I get extra punishment, I also had to bear the torture of going through wondering what would be done to me - the same punishment I got plus a little extra was all that happened ultimately. I worried for nothing.



--- Another time during night study I told the duty master that I had a bad stomach and had to go to the loo. The fact was that I wanted to run off 10 minutes earlier and get to bed. I studied in Ooty and the night study ended by 9 PM and the cold always made one want to get into bed as early as possible.

I was always the one to be found dozing away in the class during study. Presently I hatched the ingenious plan since there was only one master on rounds for almost 10 rooms containing 30-40 students each. I though one guy missing 10 minutes earlier wouldn't be noticed. I went to the dorm, changed, got all cozy and was drifting to sleep, but it was not meant to be.

One more friend from my class used the same reason and followed suit. And then came another 6-7 guys, all following my lead. The last guy who came said the master was calling all of us. Went, got a tight slap which warmed my cheek in the Ooty winter, came back wiser and slept. Never once did I bunk after that. I devised ways on sleeping in the class, so much safer and simpler.


--- In college, I got my record work done by a girl as did most other guys. Many escaped, guess who got caught. Correct, 100 pints to you reader - ME!! Oh the pain of writing a record with diagrams for submission in 2-3 days time is torture in its worst form.


--- Cut the scene to corporate life. I once lied to my boss that there were domestic issues at my house and had to be there to sort them out. It was a month end and my boss needed me there to meet the sales targets, not because I was a star salesman, but because I was the only guy in the team then!

I lied and happily went off to Bhopal to a friends place, the idea of visiting a new place always excited me and I could not give up on it. My boss worked in telecom and traced my number to Bhopal somehow. I think he must have called and the automated "switched off" message came in Hindi or something that made him suspect foul play. He dug deeper and found out. I got back and had a bad session with him that left me in tears.

And so these days if ever some problem comes up and I have a choice to lie or face it head on. I suck it up and go for it head on because if I lied, I would have to deal with the issue and also deal with the issue of getting caught lying.


2 comments:

  1. Win Exciting and Cool Prizes Everyday @ www.2vin.com, Everyone can win by answering simple questions.Earn points for referring your friends and exchange your points for cool gifts.

    ReplyDelete