Monday, May 5, 2014

The lizard

          I  used to live in a nice cozy building in Kodambakkam. The walls are a pleasing blue and the weather inside was just perfect for me. It was a nice pleasant cool place. The summer heat was sometimes a tad too much, but then my tenants had air conditioners and I basked in the chill every now and then, and that is about all that I can say is good about them. They came into this house a few months back. They seemed to have forgotten that I was here a long time ago, even before the earlier tenants had arrived in fact. My family owned this place for so many generations. This was where my great grand dad fought with another great prince of our clan and won the house. The loser ran away leaving his tail behind in fright. This was a story regaled to me by my proud father, no more around, God bless his soul.

          I never had a problem with my tenants. They came and went and did what they pleased and I did the same too. All was well till a few days ago. I was at my spot near the entrance licking my eyes as all of us generally do and waiting for dinner to fly to me. The lady tenant came in, saw me, and screamed. I was so frightened that I almost bit my tail off, but realized that she was actually more frightened than me. It did give me quite a boost of confidence back then. But the fact that she was so scared did seem like a bit of a concern but life went on.

         One day I was foraging in the coolness of the bathroom when these tenants were away at work. I liked to sometimes chill out here in the cool damp climate and then get back to my spot before the tenants came. But on this particular day the male tenant was back early. This stupid fellow had a really nasty habit of practically living in the bathroom! He spent hours together seeing that shiny screen and moving his fingers across it like crazy - these humans I tell you, they have gone to the dogs. I was now caught and my patience was wearing thin. I made a dash for the door of the bathroom, but alas he caught me sneaking. I made a blind dash thinking he would be scared like the lady tenant, but she had instigated this man into action! That witch of a woman. As I thought all this down came the broom stick, whump!

          It was the soft kind and so I had an advantage, I still tried running and it came down again whump! The third time it came I decided it was time to grow a new tail. I bit my tail off and with renewed energy darted across the floor, but whump! These humans are a little more smarter than cats I realized then, they were not distracted by tail, ah lost it in vain I cursed myself.

          As the final resort on the next whump I played dead. Rolled over and lay there with my tongue out. He went away and I started running, whump came the broom. I was out by this time, my mind was getting cloudy and I couldn't run anymore. He picked me up on the broom and flung me out the door onto the hard pavement. Owners of houses don't have any more respect these days I tell you. Here I was, destitute and without a home. I live on the street longing for the blue walls. And last week my cousin browny head was chucked out - the same way I was, without a tail and devoid of any energy. The poor fellow enjoyed his time int he kitchen.

          And that my friends is the story of a poor little lizard that once lived in a nice cozy house in Kodambakkam, with soothing blue walls.






No comments:

Post a Comment