Saturday, September 27, 2014

What the Amma conviction means to me; to us.

          I am of the opinion that Ms Jayalalitha is any day a better bet for TN in terms of development, peace and infrastructure. I think after her long tenure in TN politics she finally chose a path that benefited both parties, herself and the state. After she took reins I saw a sense of calm prevail in the state. The electricity problem was being looked at - and was improved. The Amma food houses and packaged water - even if a populist initiative - was a relief to a lot of people. I thought that the money used in this initiative was a welcome way of utilizing funds that would otherwise go into the coffers of the 'hardworking" politicians.

          So now that I have stated that I am an amma fan, I have another thing to say. I am extremely happy; elated if you will; about the conviction. My faith in the judiciary has been reinforced. The simple fact that the current CM of a state who has won by landslide count of votes, with a neutral stand with the central ruling party was actually convicted in a case - that too one relating to wealth accumulation and not of a criminal nature is quite inspiring ; and faith inducing. This goes on to say to me; the me who is a common man who pays taxes, albeit cursing; the me who votes into power people who I believe will do me a little good; the me who wishes for a better, traffic free roads, faster Metro completion, gundagiri free rule etc etc; still has some safety and say in this country.

          I understand that Ms Jayalalitha may go in for an appeal and for all you know the verdict could be altered, quashed or whatever legal remedies are applicable, but the point still holds good that the judiciary gave a verdict against a powerful political party head and CM. I now have renewed faith that the judiciary will function the way it was designed to function - as a separate and independent entity from the executive body;ie the political party in power.

          Now about the AIADMK functionaries stomping around Tamil Nadu asking people to shut shop and create terror - you are as good as terrorists. The good will and good deeds begotten by the party head will be squandered by these sycophantic idiots who are shouting slogans outside the DMK party presidents house; does it not enter you heads that the DMK does not run the judicial system? How will shouting slogans against the DMK make right your party leaders wrongdoings? And as a dear friend of mine pointed out, the party head took pride in the law and order discipline in the state; it plunged into chaos the minute her conviction was announced.

          My only wish now is that all our "leaders" take a lesson from this and act with caution while amassing wealth that comes out of the blood and sweat of the common man. And I pray that the DMK too faces action of the same sort in the 2G scam. If this happens then I think I may even consider taking up law as a profession - it actually makes a difference to a lot of peoples lives. :p

   






No comments:

Post a Comment