Sunday, February 17, 2013

Being yourself is nice, but being the best you can be is awesome!!

As I was rummaging through old pictures of mine from college, I came across one where I was at a friends wedding. She was more of an acquaintance actually. Anyways of all the people in the picture there was me - standing out for the wrong reasons.

I was dressed in a pair of jeans that were too baggy, a shirt rolled up at the sleeves and a pair of sandals that looked really bad.

Back then I was of the thought that I could be the way I wanted, I didn't have to fit in. I had to be me (the me who wouldn't dress well because I really didn't care enough, didn't know enough) and people who accepted me that way were enough in my life.

Thinking back, I realize that I was just having an inferiority complex and was covering it up with the "I am me, and people who accept can come into my life" crap. I was afraid to try to look good. I was afraid to break out and show my capabilities because in my eyes I saw myself as lesser than others and therefore was always living inside a shell.

I didn't have a friend who said - dude you look pathetic, you should actually try this. Heck I only knew that wearing formals to a wedding was the norm only after I joined work.

I once had to go to a wedding with a friend and before attending the wedding I had visited her as we were to go from her place. She took one look at me and said - if you are dressed like that I am not coming with you. I was hurt, but then but I realize what she did was the best thing a friend could do. We went shopping immediately and hence after I made it a point to dress well and not feel bad after I got to the occasion.

Dressing well or looking good is not about others, it is about you. You taking care of yourself shows how much you love yourself. And lets face the fact, being the way we like just because we do not make the effort to be our best, ends with us being disappointed seeing everyone around us exuding confidence and being comfortable and having fun while deep inside we know that we want to be in that position.

Yes being yourself is important but being the best you can be is what we should be aiming at. All it takes is a little awareness and a little bit of effort. Its one life that we have and lets not waste it in hollow principles we develop, to cover our our misgivings about ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment